Saturday, January 7, 2012

SS-Town? The Springs? The Sandy?

I apologize for not posting yesterday. A friend and I were trying to rid ourselves of the first-week-of-the-year doldrums.

In any case, I found this story interesting (and well-tailored to the AJC's favorite readers, upper-middle-class white suburbanites) just because of how nebulous mailing addresses are in the Atlanta area. I've known people with Atlanta addresses who live in Vinings, Sandy Springs, southwest DeKalb, and Doraville. Indeed, thanks to Sandy Springs never having a distinct mailing address as default, Atlanta is actually listed on my birth certificate as my birthplace, and in all honesty, it looks better there to me than Sandy Springs would.

I'm not troubled by the outcry for a default Sandy Springs mailling address, even though residents already have the option to choose one. If people can't stand to be identified with the city of Atlanta, then it's a good thing that they don't live here, really. Other than financial and name-recognition objections raised by Sandy Springs' own UPS, it seems to be a non-issue at the very least, and at best may help to de-nebulize the Atlanta region, if nowhere else but on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment