Saturday, December 10, 2011

Let The Transit Wars Commence

I apologize for not posting yesterday, as I had promised; I couldn't fly out of New Orleans on Thursday, and instead had to take Amtrak home. Beware of the moribund AirTrain Airways, by the way, as they massively overbooked every flight of the day, and I had to petition their ground staff in New Orleans for an hour before receiving a refund. My vacation was pretty fun, nonetheless.

Sadly, I had to return home to this sort of description of people's reactions to next year's proposed transit tax. At a Transit Governance Task Force meeting yesterday in Cobb County, Susan Stanton, hailing from a certain political movement, advanced the familiar argument that urban planning with mass transit in mind was communistic and reminiscent of the Soviet Union. It would force a lifestyle on local residents, she asserted; evidently, she doesn't believe that has happened before in Atlanta. I'd be surprised if she didn't assemble many of her friends to vote against the tax next year.

The state of Georgia is proposing that GRTA become an oversight agency for metropolitan Atlanta's transit agencies, ostensibly to maybe, perhaps act as a financial intermediary from the state to the agencies. Will MARTA receive specifically dedicated state funding, like its peers elsewhere? Though I wouldn't count on it, this is the closest the state has moved in that direction for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment