Friday, November 11, 2011

Capitol View Baptist Church and the Purpose of Optimism

I have a confession to make. I'm a pessimist. I rarely ask women out, for fear of rejection. I almost always underestimate the amount of money I'll have a month from the present. Also, when writing about the state of my state, or city, or nation, my first instinct is to seek out a problem that needs solving, and to simply explain the nature of the problem. In a footnote, I usually propose a solution. This pattern of writing not only bogs me down, but runs the risk of alienating readers of a less gloomy disposition.

Today has brought me some good news. The abandoned Capitol View Baptist Church has become the site of a planned new public library. I don't live in the neighborhood, but remember riding the 95 (out of boredom) past it in 2009, and experiencing a strange sadness upon seeing it from the front. Even in its intermediate stage of dereliction, it was still beautiful, more so than the various discount stores, grassy lots and houses in need of paint along Metropolitan Parkway (or, if you prefer, Stewart Avenue).

Perhaps it will be renovated and used again. I could imagine it becoming one of the finest auditoriums on the city's southwestern side, an especially grand study room, or even a wing of the library. The possibilities are almost overwhelming, and now, they are within reach.

I'm beginning to think that good news about Atlanta is just as important as the bad. The bad news alerts us to problems in need of correction; the good news reminds us that something remains for us to enjoy and protect.

By the way, Byron Amos and Angela Brown are headed to a runoff election in Atlanta Public Schools District 2. In what was hopefully sheer coincidence, these were the first two candidates of the original five in alphabetical order. I was unable to find an election date, but will post it as soon as I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment