Friday, November 18, 2011

Peachtree Street Private Property for an Evening

I would like to extend some friendly advice to those who are new in town, and who frequently drive. Beware the annual return of the BET Soul Train Awards.

Yes, believe it or not, the city decided that it was prudent to not only close one of the densest sections of Peachtree Street at the start of rush hour, but close more of it than let on by this press release. The street was, in fact, closed at least from 8th to Edgewood, a distance of 1.79 miles. This means far more, per mile, in the center of Atlanta than it does farther beyond.

According to Wikipedia, and indeed confirmed by my own memory, this is the first year in which the awards were held at the Fox Theatre. I love the ornate and majestic architecture of this building, inside and out, but can't pretend to be happy that the pre-ceremony ceremonies were held outside the theatre, on Peachtree itself, at 5:00 PM.

I almost never drive, thankfully, but I had decided to visit a friend who lives in Lawrenceville, and invite him back for some awful movies and gin (for him) and cheap Korean beer (for me). It would eventually be a fun evening, after wading through what was undoubtedly some of the worst traffic I have ever seen, in Atlanta or elsewhere.

Where could the city have improved? Obviously, they closed far more of Peachtree than what I believe was necessary, but their primary failure was in communication. Not only had I never found an accurate warning of the extent of road closures, but on our way from my car to my apartment, I warned three neighbors, about to drive out, who were unaware that Peachtree was closed at all.

I couldn't help but be reminded of Mayor Reed's former career as a lawyer for the entertainment industry. Perhaps he was building pomp for his friends by giving them the most central part of our central street.

If you were stuck in traffic and mad at the city for not communicating more honestly and thoroughly, or perhaps for overkill, send an email to Public Works, who grant permits for street closures.

No comments:

Post a Comment