Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Welcome Mat

I don't have much energy to post today. My joie de vivre isn't doing so well.

I was driving to a party in Marietta last night when I noticed that the lights were off on Interstate 75 in the Mt Paran neighborhood. This would be fine by me, honestly, if the Cobb County side weren't completely alight.

Both the citizens and government of Atlanta often fail to even consider visitors' impressions of the very place where we live, and I encourage everybody in Atlanta to make a deliberate effort to lay out the welcome mat. Throw your trash in a public bin rather than on the sidewalk. If a visitor asks for directions or starts a conversation in some other way, show them the friendly side of our city. You can even plant a tree, or form a group of volunteers to clean up a trashed riverbed.

We are not powerless to change our city, or its image.

No comments:

Post a Comment